Monday, April 18, 2016

Chicken Scratch



The weather is warming up in our parts. Great time to get outdoors, play with some animals, pull weeds and make stuff. That is just what we have been up to this last week. Pulling weeds/gardening is so therapeutic. It's also nice to forage your own backyard for plants that may be useful in making things with. Like the dandelions. When most people think they are just a nuisance of a weed. There are others such as myself who see the great medicinal benefits the dandelion has. I cut a bunch of it and dried it out for a couple days, then pulled all the petal tops off, placed them into a jar and filled it with olive oil. This will infuse the dandelion, which later will be
 strained and used in soap, lip balm & body butter for our home.




Another project I am working on is making liquid Pure-Castile soap. Which costs less rather than buying it in liquid form. Instead of paying over $10 bucks for a bottle, you can buy a bar for $4 bucks. Just add grated Castile soap to 4 cups of boiling water, stir until dissolved then pour in jars for later use. You can use Castile soap in your laundry, cleaning the home as well as for beauty, such as making homemade facial washes...Plus you can use it in making homemade dog shampoo.
 Which I will be making for our pup. I also put together a lovely, calming foot soak for the hardworking, gardening farmgirl. Will share the recipe later this week. I will also be making cold process soaps in the next week or so....I received all the equipment for soap making for my birthday and can't wait to use it....I am so excited to learn a new skill for our homestead.


Come on back and visit! Have a great week y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment