Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Feedsack Farmgirls & Farmers Too!


(My Gramma Charlotte on The Dairy Farm in Missouri)

I love feedsack fabrics from the 1930's and 1940's...Originally cotton feedsacks were used for flour and sugar etc... By the time the Great Depression hit...Mother's were sewing dresses for their girls from them. Once the manufacturers saw they were making dresses out of the fabric, they stepped up and began printing the fabrics with colorful patterns! As the Great Depression gave way to World War II, the feedsack fabrics were still being used but not only by the impoverished, but well to do women as well. The manufacturers even started creative competitions with each other producing many different patterns that would appeal not only to women but for men, and children as well. The sweet colorful prints together make a medley of eye musing creations.





I have always been drawn to the beauty of these simple cotton designs with all their colorful glory...It inspired me to create these fun photos using colorful feedacks in the images. I will be creating these images into my new Feedsack Farmgirl line...Coming soon!




Can't wait to get it all out of my head and made into
 the creations I have envisioned!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Farmgirl Freckles! I recently found your blog over at aGirlGab at MJF. I am one of the Farmgirls in the Sisterhood. Your blog is just so much fun and I love your projects musings, and and home ideas! This current post is fantastic and the photos you shared are wonderful. My parents(born 1902 and 1914) knew all about feedback fabrics and their uses. I have a few unfinished quilt tops from my Grandmother that definitely have feedback fabrics used.

    I look forward to seeing what you are planning for your feedback line! Thank-you for the work that you do and the sweet spirit that you always post here for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww thank you Farm Sister for stopping by and leaving such a kind comment. I am glad you found me. and hope to keep sharing and making goodies!someday you should have those quilt tops made into a quilt...that is such a sweet thing to have! Hope to see you here again!!!

      Delete
  2. I love those too! Can't wait to see what you come out with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! and thank you for stopping over...hope to share what I make soon!

      Delete